Summer has finally arrived. It is time to take off the layers and enjoy the beautiful sun. Whether you are sitting by the pool, up at the lake, or having a BBQ with family and friends, you are definitely going to need to cool off and get refreshed in the summer heat. And what better way then to enjoy a large glass of ice-cold… water (you thought I’d say beer didn’t you?!). But not just any ordinary water, I’m talking about water with a twist. How about adding in some mint, lemon, cucumber or berries? Not only will it add a kick of flavor and color to your glass, but it will provide your body with a host of health benefits.
Here are a few ingredients that you can use to spice up your water as you cool down and stay refreshed this summer:
- Mint: beneficial for soothing the stomach and the digestive system
- Lemon: helps to relieve symptoms of indigestion (i.e. heartburn, bloating, gas, cramping), cleanses the bowels, prepares the stomach for digestion, cleanses the liver, and alkalizes the body.
- Cucumber: very hydrating/cooling, helps to flush out toxins, great source of antioxidants (vitamin C, beta carotene, manganese)
- Berries: rich in antioxidants (ex Vitamin C- great for healthy skin, hair and immunity), helps to decrease inflammation, very hydrating…you can also use frozen berries in place of ice cubes
- Put ingredient(s) of choice into room temperature water and let stand for 30 min- 1 hour. Then add ice and serve.
- **Don’t waste the cucumbers or berries after finishing your water. They are a great source of fiber and other beneficial nutrients!**
Enjoy the beautiful sun this summer and remember to stay cool and refreshed!