The other day I was craving pizza but I didn’t want to order in and feel the guilt of it afterwards. I was trying to think of a creative way to satisfy my craving when it hit me…why not make a pizza from whatever is in the fridge. Brilliant! As I looked through my fridge I saw some tomatoes, onions, eggplant and parmesan cheese. What a perfect combination of wholesome ingredients. I decided to make eggplant my base and whip up a tomato sauce from scratch (so easy, you could do it with your eyes closed…though that could get a little messy ). It turned out just as I expected and my craving was successfully satisfied! So next time you’re looking for a pizza alternative, test out this recipe and let me know what you think.
1 large eggplant
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1/3 cup red onion, chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic
2-3 tbs olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp oregano
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese (can also use grated pieces)
- Put tomato, onion, garlic, olive oil, sea salt, pepper and oregano into a blender. Blend until ingredients have come together (can be chunky or smooth depending on the length of blending…longer blending=smoother consistency)
- **Can add kale or spinach into the sauce to get an added boost of vitamins and minerals! It is a great way to incorporate them into your diet…you won’t even know they are there!
- Pre-heat the oven to 350*F
- Slice eggplant lengthwise (1/2 inch slices…can get approx 6-8 slices from one eggplant). Lay slices on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- Put tomato sauce on each piece (you can decide how much sauce you want). Spread it out to cover the slice of eggplant
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over each slice of eggplant (you can decide how much cheese you want).
- Sprinkle a little extra oregano over each slice before putting the tray into the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.