Here it is! My all time favorite pasta salad (I have a weak spot for this stuff). It is famous among family and friends… always a hit at our dinner parties. Every time I make it I get requests for the recipe. So, I’ve decided to let you all in on my secret sauce. There are so many variations to this recipe. I change it up each time I make it. But today, I am going to give you the basics with a few extra twists to spice things up.
Pesto Sauce (untraditional)
1 cup olive oil
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 medium cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 tsp dried chili flakes (optional)
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1/2 an avocado (this will give it a creamy texture)
1 tbs capers (this can replace added salt)
1 cup arugula (to give it a peppery taste)
**I do not add nuts into my recipe. Pine nuts are a common ingredient found in traditional pesto sauces**
- 100% spelt noodles, brown rice noodles, soba noodles, chopped kale, feta cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, sautéed mushrooms, red onion sliced, spinach, arugula, cherry tomatoes, orange/red/yellow peppers sliced, peas.
- Combine ingredients into a blender and blend until the ingredients have come together (you can make it smooth or keep it a little more chunky. Whatever your heart desires)
- Taste to make sure the flavors are even and to your liking. If you like it a little more tangy add some more fresh lemon juice. If it is too thick, add in some more olive oil. Play around until it works for you.
- When you are ready to prepare your meal, pour 3/4 of the sauce on the pasta salad and mix until it is well coated. Cover the pasta salad and place into the fridge to absorb all the flavours.
- Before serving, pour on remaining sauce. Mix well. Enjoy…but don’t eat the entire bowl!